Monday, October 6, 2008

13+ Miles!! (Week 8)

Satuday was a landmark day after a tough couple of weeks. The day started at 7:00am with perfect weather sunny, NO wind, a little chilly, but perfect for setting out for a long run! The route was along Highway 12 outside of Middleton, with plenty of your standard landmarks: farms, cows (the non-running kind), and taverns (one of the highlights: Missouri Tavern: http://www.missouritavern.net/.)

Mo and I set off to conquer 13+ miles, it wasn't a good sign when less than a mile into the run, having secured all my proper running gear: shoes, hat, sun glasses, Jelly Bellies, water belt, phone... Umm, but forgot to attach the water bottles to the water belt... But teamwork prevailed, and Mo let me have the condensation off her bottle... Kidding she shared.

The run had it's rough spots, mainly mentally and spiritually, but there's no better place to be then on a run to work through what life hands you, or those that you love. However, after 2 hours and 50 minutes, the mile marker ticked on past 13 miles, and although Fraley says I got there first, it's only cause she pushed me (ok mainly mentally.)

In pondering the past weeks events I found the following quote:
Life is short...running makes it seem longer.

But for my purposes I thought it should read:
Life is short (unless you have McCullough genes)... running makes it seem longer (really long if you have McCullough genes.)

So, raise your glass, like those that shared in the post celebrations, cause I survived a 13+ mile run, only 13+ more and less than 60 days to make'r happen!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

indeed it was a banner week: being a witness to katie's adventure has been a trip for me (and my handsome hubby in the pic as well); can't think of a better way to celebrate this milestone than tipping a few with good friends